A home standing through a city's history
The house now known as "Villa Finale" was built by hardware merchant Russel C. Norton in 1876 as a one-story, four room single family residence on what had been Alamo farmlands during the Spanish period. During the time of its original construction, the surrounding King William neighborhood was a desirable location for the city's largely wealthy German families.
However, a devastating flood in 1921 changed the neighborhood's fortunes as the old German families, which had already begun moving away at the beginning of the 20th century, chose homes further away from downtown and the San Antonio River. Through it all, the house, which took on its Italianate look by 1904, went through a variety of owners reflecting the changes going on throughout the city and region.